01 April, 2023

Interjections with Examples







Follow Us

Types of interjections

Interjections Definition:

An interjection is used to express sentiment of the speaker or sudden emotions like surprise, joy, excitement, disgust, enthusiasm, sorrow, approval, calling, attention etc

Note: Click on show/hide button to show index of the content.

[+] Show / Hide Contents


1. Interjection for Greeting:

Interjection for greeting is used to indicate emotion of warmth towards the other person when they meet. Interjection for greeting words are Hello! , Hey! , Hi! Etc.

E.g.
  • Hey! Good to see you today.
  • Hello! I am Jane.
  • Hi! Would you like to have a cup of coffee?
  • Hey! Nice to see you here at the party.
  • Hello! I am Pooja.

2. Interjection for Joy:

If you want to show feelings of happiness or excitement or immediate emotion or immediate joy in the sentence then you can use words like Wow! Hurray! Hurrah! Ha!

E.g.
  • Wow! That’s great news.
  • Hurray! We won the football match.
  • Ha! Today I am very happy.
  • Wow! It is a beautiful place to stay.
  • Hurray! My team won the game.
  • Wow! I passed the exam.
  • Hurrah! We’ve got another day off.
  • Wow! You are looking gorgeous.
  • Hurray! We successfully won this football match.

3. Interjection for Approval and Praise

When you want to express your feelings of approval and agreement on something that happened for any task when you use these Interjection words like well done! O.K! Bravo!

E.g.
  • Well done! Your assignment is really good.
  • Bravo! You did a great job.
  • Well done! You performed you best.
  • Bravo! The trophy is yours.
  • Well done! You got the job.
  • Bravo! He made the goal.
  • Brilliant! You scored 99% percent in the exams.
  • Well done! You win the race.
  • Bravo! The first rank is yours this year.

4. Interjection for Attention:

Interjection for attention is used in the sentence to draw the attention of attendance then you use these Interjection words like Listen! Look! Behold! Hush.

E.g.
  • Listen! To me, you cannot do this at all.
  • Behold! The bride comes.
  • Look! You so arrogant.
  • Listen! I have never copied you.
  • Behold! Someone strange is there.

5. Interjection for Surprise:

Interjection for surprise is used to express a feeling or strong sense of being surprised, you can use words like What! Well! Hey! Eh! Oh! Whoa! Ha!, Ah!, Gosh, Wow etc.

E.g.
  • Hey! I can’t believe you are right here with me.
  • What! He attempted suicide.
  • What! Is it true that you are leaving this school?
  • Oh! Really you killed a snake, I can’t believe this.
  • What! His mother died!
  • Ah! I got promoted.
  • Eh! That sounds so disgusting.
  • What! You failed.
  • Oh! Really you completed the task, I can't believe.
  • Ah! I got the new job.

6. Interjection for Sorrow or Pain:

When you want to express feelings of sadness in the sentence, then you can use words like Alas! Ah! Oh! Ouch!

E.g.
  • Alas! She is no more.
  • Ouch! I cut my finger.
  • Ah! I have lost my sister’s bag.
  • Alas! She has failed in the exam.
  • Alas! He is no more.
  • Ouch! It's very painting

7. Interjections for Grief/Pain:

Interjection for grief/pain is used to expresses a strong emotion of grief on something unfortunate that happened.

Interjections for grief/pain words are Alas! , Ah! , Oh! , Ouch! Etc.

E.g.
  • Alas! He is dead.
  • Ouch! I hurt my foot.
  • Ah! The pain of injection.

8. Interjections for Bidding Farwell:

Interjections for Bidding Farwell is used by the speaker to bid farewell or say good-bye. Interjections for bidding farwell words are Bye!, goodbye! farewell! Etc.

E.g.
  • Good-bye! we are leaving.
  • Bye! I have to leave for now.

9. Interjections for Expressing Doubt or Hesitation:

These interjections are used by the speaker when they are unsure and thinking of what to say next. Interjections for Expressing Doubt or Hesitation words are Hmm, Uh, Er Etc.

E.g.
  • Hmm, I am not really sure what happened.

10. Interjections for Express Calling:

When you call someone for any reason then you use these Interjection words like Halloo! Ho!

E.g.
  • Hello! Why are you looking here?
  • Hello! Mark, please come with me.

What is an Interjection?

Interjection words have fixed meanings, whenever they are used. They usually come at the beginning of a sentence and do not have a direct grammatical relation with the rest of the sentence. Interjection words are used anywhere in the sentence.

The interjection is one of the parts of speech. Mostly Interjection words are used at the beginning of a sentence.

A comma or an exclamation mark is used after the interjection word in a sentence. An interjection sometimes called as the exclamation. It is used to signify a specific emotion or sentiment on the part of the speaker or the feeling of the author.

Eg: Surprise - Wow!, Confusion – Huh?, Outrage – No!

Interjection Examples:

  • Good! Now we can celebrate the party.
  • Oh, what's a surprise?
  • Hey! Get out of the building!
  • Yes! I can do it easily.
  • No! I run so long.
  • Well! I have a good news.
  • Ouch! That hurts.
  • Well, I need a break.
  • Wow! What a beautiful dress!
  • Groovy! IAU demotes Pluto!!!
  • Wow! What a beautiful painting.
  • Hurrah! Our team has won the series.
  • What! Have you lost all your money?
  • Hurrah! We’ve won!
  • Alas, she’s dead now.
  • Bah! That was a total waste of time
  • Bless you, I couldn't have done without you.
  • Ah! It feels good.
  • Oh! You both know each other.
  • ‘I’m going.’ ‘Eh?’ ‘I said I’m going.’
  • Hey! Where are you going?’
  • Oh! I’ve got a bad headache.’
  • Shoot! I forgot my brother’s birthday.
  • ‘I’ve won.’ ‘Eh! Really?’
  • Hmm. Let’s me see.’
  • Oops, I’m sorry. That was my mistake.
  • Geez! Do I need to do it again?
  • Oh, I didn’t know that.
  • Yes! I will do it!
  • Yo, will you throw the ball back?
  • Um, here is our proposal.
  • Hmm. You really need to be on a diet.

Features of Interjections:

  • Interjections are short exclamations like Oh!, Uh, Um, Wow!, Yikes!, or Ah!.
  • Interjections can stand alone.
  • The interjection is a big name for a little word.
  • Interjections are like emoticons.

Interjection List:

The lists of interjections used in the English language are extremely long, just like the list of adverbs or adjectives. The list of Interjections words are Oy, yum, huh, oops, hark, dear, wow, hey, aww, aah, ahh, eh, hurrah, oh, oops, ouch, shh, uh, yeah, yippe, haha etc

Types of Interjections:

  1. Interjection for Greeting - Hello! , Hey! , Hi! Etc
  2. Interjection for Joy - Hurrah! , Hurray! , Wow! Etc Hurrah! Ha! Ha! Wow!
  3. Interjection for Approval - Bravo! , Brilliant! , Well done! O.K!
  4. Interjection for Attention - Listen! Look! Behold! Hush.
  5. Interjection for Surprise - Ha! , Hey! , What! , Oh! , Ah! , Eh! Etc Well
  6. Interjection for Sorrow - Ah! Ah me! Alas!
  7. Interjections for Grief/Pain - these include: Alas! , Ah! , Oh! , Ouch! Etc
  8. Interjections for Bidding Farwell
  9. Interjections for Expressing Doubt or Hesitation
  10. Interjections for Express Calling - Halloo! Ho!

A to Z List of Interjections:

A: aha, ahem, ahh, ahoy, alas, argh, aww, achoo, absolutely, alrighty, amen, anyhoo, anytime, attagirl, awful, attaboy, as if, anyhow
B: bam, bingo, blah, boo, bravo, brrr, behold, bless you, bye
C: cheers, congratulations, come on, chin up
D: dang, drat, darn, duh, dear, doh, dear me
E: eek, eh, Eureka, encore, easy does it
F: fiddlesticks, fair enough, fiddle-dee-dee, fooey
G: gadzooks, gee, gee whiz, golly, goodbye, goodness, good grief, gosh, geepers, good job, great
H: ha-ha, hallelujah, hello, hey, hmmm, holy buckets, holy cow, holy smokes, holy dog, huh?, humph, hurray, hi, hooray
I: indeed, is it, I say
J: jeez, just kidding, just a sec, just wondering
M: my gosh, meh, most certainly, my my, my word
N: no, now, Nah, no thanks, never, no way
O: oh, oh dear, oh my, oh well, oops, ouch, ow, okey-dokey, oopsey, oyez
P: phew, phooey, pooh, pow, please, pff, peace, psst
R: rats, ready, right, right on, Roger, roger that, rumble
S: shhh, shoo, shoot, shucks, see ya, sleep tight, snap, sorry, sssh, sup, sigh, shame
T: thanks, there, tut-tut, ta-da, there there, time out, toodles, touche, tsk, tsk-tsk
U: uh-oh, uh-huh, ugh, umm, urgh
V: very well, voila, vroom
W: wahoo, well, whoa, whoops, wow, whatever, whee, when, wuzzup, why
Y: yeah, yes, yikes, yippee, yo, yuck, yay, yoo-hoo, you bet, you don't say, you know, yow, yum, yummy
Z: zap, zounds, zowie, zzz, zing.

Some Interjections with Meanings and Examples:

  • Wow Ha - Express happiness
    Wow! That’s great thing.Ha! now
  • Alas Ah - Express unhappiness
    Alas! He is dad now.
    Ah! I have lost the friend.
  • Oh! What! Well - Express surprise
    Oh, What a great person is he? What! Are you coming tomorrow?
  • Well done!O.K! - To give Approval
    Well done! You solved this problem.
    O.K! This project is over.
  • Halloo! Ho! - To call someone
    Halloo! Where are you going?
    Ho! Are you talking to me?
  • Listen!Look!Behold!Hush - Express attention
    Listen! All of you come here.
    Look! You have to do this job.
    Behold! I am coming with you.

Interjections Quiz

Rajashekar KankanalaRajashekarKankanala
Tuts Raja
NTR Colony
Hyderabad,Telangana,500087India
9110760272
http://www.discovertutorials.com/

Tags: Aptitude, Reasoning, Static GK, Computer Knowledge, English Language, Preparation Tips


Share post»


Join Our Free Newsletter
Author Image

About Author:

I'm Rajashekar, founder of Discovertutorials.com website. I love blogging and interested to share my knowledge on this platform with a course.

View: My Profile

Copyright@Discover Tutorials 2018. All Rights Reserved.

Top